Thursday, January 13, 2011

Artist Statement January 2011

Everything I do now is something that I did as a child; only now I do it bigger. When I was a child I would find things that other people were throwing out and I would build other things out of them. When I found bones in the woods I would collect them, when I found bugs I would collect them, and of course when I found a baby raccoon I kept it as a pet. I did not care for normal toys; I would rather try to revive store-bought chicken hearts with batteries and re-assemble their skeletons after dinner.

I work with abstract yet recognizable forms that are familiar, conjure memories, or hold power. I find myself drawn to physical structure, and I am interested in spontaneous immediate compositions, as I have no patience for anything requiring tediousness. I use play to generate ideas with humor, beauty, and madness.

No comments: